Thursday, August 27, 2015

Russian Icon Tour, Part 2 Moscow

This set of posts in my Iconic Cazalea  blog chronicles our summer of 2015 tour of Russian icon sites. 

TRAVELERS: A group of 18 icon lovers (writers/painters) from the US and UK 

AGENDA: to explore famous Russian icon sites, chosen by Sir Richard Temple, an icon dealer for 50 years in London.



TRIP ORGANIZER & ICON TEACHER: Teresa and husband Edward, our chaplain.  


TOUR GUIDE: the multi-talented Kent from Etr, a Swiss tour company. He made our arrangements and "pre-ran" the entire route a week in advance, to ensure a smooth trip for us. He's very entertaining too. 


LOCAL: in each city we'll have bus drivers, guides, etc. 

Let's get going!

Today we set out to discover Moscow. I'm too tired to write much, but I can share some pictures. I'm using both my iPhone and a large camera whose photos I have no way of posting now. Sorry. 

Anyway, here we go:

Virgin of Kazan Church


Virgin enthroned icon


Kolomenskoye Estate


Huge icons in their museum. 


Fabulous icon - one of a dozen or more that nearly make us faint. 


Apple orchards were laden with aromatic fruits and with scattered groups of picnickers. 


Walk in the park back up to our coach. 


Novodevichy Convent
 

Incredible iconostasis and fabulous frescos.  


We finished with a famous cemetery adjacent to the convent. I forgot to take pictures with my phone - sorry. 

Peter the Great statue in the river. 


Heading back to the hotel


A dinner of sausage and potatoes (with a free serving of Karaoke!) and we're off to bed!